Monday, September 8, 2008

Bai Jai Bei



To welcome and bless new life there is a tradition in Northern China called the Bai Jai Bei or 100 Good Wishes Quilt. The practice asks friends and family to send two pieces of fabric, any color or pattern that is meaningful to that person. One square is used for placement in a quilt to warm and protect the new baby. A smaller piece is kept with a wish or blessing for the child's life.

I am very blessed and thankful to have received so many beautiful and unique pieces of fabric and truly heartfelt wishes during the making of Aubrey's quilt. Thanks to all of you who were able to contribute. The quilt turned out beautifully despite my not having ventured into Singer territory since grade school Four-H! I don't think I could have managed without Mom's help getting me started. Aubrey's Bai Jai Bei is bright and cheerful, at the ready to warm her for years to come, and infuse her with all of your loving wishes.



Second Sign

When discussing adoption, Dave and I never considered any other country than China. We both felt strongly that we could really help the life of one child, and since the goal was a little girl, China was the obvious choice. The next step would be to find an adoption agency. Having no experience in this area, Dave and I decided to use an agency out of Chicago. Friends had successfully used this agency twice so it seemed like a good bet. I filled out the application and sent it in.

I don't remember staff from the adoption agency contacting me personally, what I remember was receiving a packet in the mail with written instructions for compiling a dossier. I was lost. There were so many steps and different required pieces of information. It was overwhelming. The easiest task on the list was to contact a social worker and begin the home study process.

It would be several weeks before our social worker, Fran, could come by to see our house and meet myself, Dave and the boys. In the meantime I decided to tackle the background checks. Off to the Mishawaka Police Station. I presented the clerk with my form letter that needed completing. While waiting for the computer check to verify that I had no criminal behavior, I noticed a small clipping taped to the wall opposite the clerks window. On the scrap was typed a message I felt was placed there just for me. A Chinese Proverb.

Our social worker arrived at the appointed time. She looked through our home, interviewed the boys individually, along with Dave and myself. She even commented positively on our dog, Daisy. Seemed as if the home study would pass with flying colors. When Fran asked to look over the papers we had collected so far she frowned when she saw the adoption agency's name. Fran went on to explain that the dossier process, also known as the paper chase, can be daunting. She told us it would be easier to get through with help. Fran then asked us to consider meeting a friend of hers. Julia.

Dave and I went to an informal gathering at the downtown South Bend Library to meet Julia and hear about Great Wall China Adoption agency (GWCA). We were skeptical at the least to change agencies,but to date we had only paid an application fee. I felt if we were going to make a switch, now would be the time. However, there needed to be some kind of connection other than just Fran's recommendation. Julia was joyful and energetic, her positive attitude was contagious. When she handed me a folder with info about the programs offered at GWCA I was drawn to her business card tucked in the corner. There, typed on Julia's card was the same quote from the police station. The Chinese Proverb.

There is an invisible red thread
that connects those who are destined to meet
regardless of time, place or circumstance.
Although the thread may stretch or tangle,
~~~ it will never break. ~~~

2 comments:

Julia said...

Thank You for the wonderful words. I can't wait until our Aubrey is home and the girls can all play together - on the the countdown. Hugs.

www.trawickclan.blogpsot.com

Regina said...

Hi Nikki and Dave,
My previous comments were something like this: What a story you shall be able to tell Aubrey when she is old enough to understand. The story of how His interventions led you to her and the inclusion in our family will bear repeating many times. And, what a cute little face that I hope to meet soon. Take care of youselves. Love and hugs, Aunt Regina P.S. I will pray for you but I think the Higher Power already has that covered.