Wednesday, September 17, 2008

FROM THE GREAT WALL TO GUANGZHOU




Wow! What more can I say. We visited the Ming tombs early Tue morning. I was impressed by the size, however Mongol troops had destroyed much of the tombs and taken away what treasure was there. The Chinese government replicated the tombs for tourism, some domestic travelers were very revering in the presence of the faux Emperors tombs, Chris was astonished at the money thrown around the relics.




The biggest and most exciting part of our trip so far, the imposing Great Wall! We spent over an hour to walk a short way. The Wall curves and bends around the mountain ranges and the inclines are at times 45 degrees. We were panting along with the other climbers. We saw a lot of Paraolympians climbing as well. We just kept repeating "I can't believe we are on the Great Wall!" We also were amazed that it was all made without the help of modern machinery, we marveled at the thought that mere men carried each and every brick for placement. Our guide, Joy, said that in China, the Great Wall is also known as China's biggest cemetery.




As I write this we are now in Guangzhou. Thoughts of the Great Wall have now been replaced with the thoughts of Aubrey. In less than 24 hours we will meet our daughter. I have everything unpacked in our very small hotel room, dresses, bubble bath, blankets, and a baby doll. The temperatures are even hotter than I imagined. Our new guide, Kelley, says that there are 2 seasons in Guangzhou, hot and hotter. We are definitely in hotter! Chris even complained that the air outside is too stuffy. The hotel upgraded us to a room on the Pearl River. We are enjoying the views from our air conditioned room. ( For those of you who know me well, you know it has to be pretty darn hot for me to complain!)




Last Big Sign




Less than 3 weeks before leaving for China I received a letter from the USCIS, stating that our 2 page addendum for a special needs child was inadequate. We were informed to complete our 4th home study in 2 years time. We pled with the USCIS that there was not enough time to finish a home study before leaving by email, we received no response. Having no control over the situation, I decided to ask the for help from another mother. I said in a short prayer to the Blessed Mary, " You know this is such a tangled mess, I can't sort it out. Please fix this for me, you know this child needs a home."




That night when I went to work, it was the opening ceremony for the Beijing Olympics. My patient wanted to watch the extravaganza instead of getting hooked up for her test. I was becoming annoyed with her very rapidly. During her hookup she told me she had adopted both of her children in the fifties. She explained about closed adoptions and the effects on her now grown children. I told her of our plans to adopt and she immediately changed her attitude toward me.




When it was time for lights out this patient asked me what I planned to name my little girl. I told her about the song and the book, and how we decided to adopt because of a character named Aubrey. She told me I just caused her to have goose bumps. She just finished reading a book that week, in it the little girls name was Aubrey. I asked her if the book was by Nora Roberts, and it was indeed the same book that I had read 10 years prior.




I found out next that this same patient was not scheduled for a test that night. Someone had cancelled and she was called in at the last minute! I told her before I turned the lights out that she was my sign. I have no worries about the paperwork now. All of those coincidences were worked out in the few hours I slept before work. We are absolutely in good hands.


2 comments:

Julia said...

Bring on that baby. I can't wait.


www.trawickclan.blogspot.com

djohnnyb said...

WOW!!! IS RIGHT... SHE LOOKS JUST BEAUTIFUL... IT IS SO WONDERFUL TO BE ABLE TO FOLLOW ALL OF YOU ALONG ON YOUR JOURNEY.
ALTHOUGH , BY THE PICTURE IT LOOKS LIKE THE GREAT WALL TOOK IT'S TOLL ON DAVE....
COME HOME SAFE AND SOON...